Thursday, July 28, 2011

One for the Trolls



It is rare that you have an opinion and have a 180 when thinking about it for a long time. When I was looking for additional writers two years ago, I made it a condition that they use their real name. To me hiding behind a screen of anonymity was a coward's way out. If you had something to say, say it and stand behind it. With your real name.

I had long discussion with people who do use pseudonyms. One pointed out, that a pseudonym is not really hiding. As one tends to use that fake name all the time. Lots of writers in the past had pen names. Magicians all over the world use pseudonyms to distinguish their real personality from their stage personality. Slydini and Dai Vernon come to mind.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
Oscar Wilde


And that is also true. Lot's of people are pissed off by Harry Loraynes constant advertising over at the Magic Café. If you talk out loud against it, you'll get banned. So why not create fake accounts and live out your freedom of speech.

Sure the use of a pseudonym is the way to get a life as an Internet troll. But be honest: We have matured enough to spot a troll and ignore him. If this is your main concern about not using the real name, then it is a weak argument. There are plenty of reasons not to use the real name.

So I have come 180 on this, as you probably have noticed by giving that freak Barry Solayme author rights on my blog.

However I will keep using my real name, as I am a magic troll. And if I verbally slap you, I want you to know where that slap was coming from.

3 comments:

Trickster said...

I agree with you in part, but there are those who simply hide behind anonymity so they can slag off other people with out them having recourse to reply or retaliate.
I guess like most things it comes down to what the motivation is.
Stage names are usually known to be such and the person behind them is usually known, and some quite notable pseudonyms have been adopted for reasons of true protection (eg. political commentators) or for business reasons (eg. in the past many female writer used male names to get published), but on-line so many pseudonyms are just about being too gutless to own your own words.

Roland said...

Yes, but I know that you are smart enough to differentiate between the trolls and the workers. Therefore you know what to do.

Barry Solayme said...

Those anonymous 'beauties' really get my goat, Roland. They should be named, shamed, hung, drawn and quartered!

BS