Sunday, August 2, 2009
Sunday Post Follow Up
Wow, I mean, wow. I got 32 emails, each thanking me for what I wrote about Shawn Farquhar. I am overwhelmed. It is interesting how a few words of honest despise are so well received. The picture above was send to me by one of them, telling me, that it might be useful for this blog. Well yeah, why not.
But I do wanna end on a reconciling note. So here are a few tips for Shawn Farquhar to better himself.
1. Stop name dropping! Nobody cares who you met and where you have been. Name dropping is a practice for losers who have trouble with their own significance in their lives.
2. Do not brag with prizes, that you have won, that are older than two years! It is ok, to have won a prize. It shows that the committee which awarded the prize thinks you are the best. The truth might be different though. So it is ok, to brag a bit. But no longer than two years. That is the magic time frame that discerns a real winner from a showoff.
3. Face the fact, that your skill is not superior! It is just ok, and there is lot's of room for improvement.
4. Check your sources! Whenever you claim to have come up with something chances are good, you did not. And I am not talking about reinventing the wheel. Often we see something, and forget about it. Years later we come up with an idea, based off that old idea that is not ours to begin with. But it seems like it. So we claim to have come up with it.
5. Stop grinning! Not only does it make you look like the Grinch who Stole Christmas, no it makes you look arrogant.
6. Be modest!
So Shawn, enjoy your FISM-award. But only for two years. Max!
complaints go to Roland