Sunday, September 12, 2010

Just A Sunday Post #61



The poll was: Is Mentalism Overrated?

More than half of you think yes... a quarter thinks no and another quarter was trying to be funny. Haha!

What does it mean? First off: Mentalism is too expensive. Have you taken a look at literature about mentalism? 50$ the book, on average. 25$ for a DVD with a stupid peek. 60$ for a block of wood that falls over.

But I am a magician, so naturally I don't care that much. I won't buy it. I might take a look into the scanned pdf which I downloaded via Torrent. (Looking at you David Berglas)

But since mentalism is over rated as my oh so scientific poll proves, I guess only a few will buy the really good books.

It is all a scam to keep the majority of the mentalists dumb and by doing that enabling the elite to ask for fees that are between 6000 and 7000 $ per hour. Clever thinking.

And second, Mentalist seem to be able to create an aura around themselves that just screams: "At least I am no magician" But this is just me.

Face it. To be a good mentalist, you need to be a good showman, nothing else. Skill is not really required. Clever routining also not that important. All you need to have is a good character and a solid structure. And most books and DVDs about mentalist are not about that.

So is it overrated? Absolutely!

No comments: