Saturday, April 16, 2011

Bebel



PICTURE BY Robin Dawes

It is April. In celebration of this blogs two year existence, the whole month will be winner time. Only the coolest and best members of our elite circle of nerds will be featured.

Today: Bebel!

French magician Bebel deserves yet another positive mention I think. I know a few magicians who for some reason cannot stand the magic Bebel has come up with. They say the plot is not followed through, often the action and the premise is illogical and he flashes like hell. Well to those I say: Take a look at his magic from a layman's point of view. Magic doesn't have to be logical all the time.

A card is selected, then found and then turned into the four aces. Sure it hardly makes any sense, but it hits hard from an emotional point of view.

Take a look what he has made of the Biddle Trick.



You can argue that it is way too much handling of the cards. But the magic comes across as you see by the genuine reactions.

As Bebel performs he is totally relaxed and the magic comes natural. Looking at his fumbling with the cards from that angle it does make sense in a weird way. Let me explain. His body language is yelling all the time: "Look at me, I got nothing to hide, I can even toy around with the cards in my hands, because there is no need for me to prove that all is hands off. You already know that I am good and that you got no chance to catch me. I do not need to overstate fairness, as you know that even if I would make all look fair, I'd still fool you."

That is what his body language says. And maybe some misunderstand this as an arrogant thing. I hope you don't. Check out his YouTube Channel to see what I'm talking about.

Anyway, Jean-Pierre Vallarino and Bebel got this DVD:



Guess what I'm getting! And I don't even speak French.

3 comments:

Patrick Lehnen said...

thumbs up for bebel!

Surreal said...

your blog has a very negative name dude. what's wrong with you

Robin Dawes said...

The photo of Bebel at the top of this article was taken by me at FFFF 2007. Here is the link to the original post:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/saomik/480822119/

and here is a link to an explanation of the conditions under which this photo may be used:
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/

In summary, the photo is not public domain. It is free for non-commercial use, with attribution. Please either provide attribution or remove the picture from your page.

Thank you

Robin Dawes