Wednesday, March 12, 2014

No palming required!

"I was wondering if there was a few methods for doing a card to shoe without a palm."

Wow, why are magicians such pussies when it comes to palming? I get the uneasy feeling. I was afraid too. But like the fear of fire I eventually manage to overcome the fear and learned to respect it instead.

Palming, is not hard to do. But here is a three step program.

Just learn the proper grip and do it. Your hand is like a shield, covering the view. That is the first step. Now learn to control where people look. When they look at your shoe and see a card in there they are not watching your hand. That is the second step. And finally get rid of your guilt. The feeling of hiding something is like some foul smell that people pick up. If you don't feel it, they cannot smell it. And that was the third step.

There are finer point of course, but it will get you started.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Carney on palming is a great resource as well, palming opens up such a wide range of tricks to learn!

Unknown said...

I recently did an ambitious card at a cousin's wedding and was a bit buzzed, so I thought WTFN (why the eff not?) and mercury-folded their card, producing it from my shoe. Maybe some will think that's not a palm, but I do and it got great reactions as a climax. Just do it. If you screw up, you'll learn and be better for it.

Watkinzez said...

Mark mason has Shoe't. You need to palm the card for like 0.5 seconds. It's a really neat gimmick if anyone has played around with it. I go fooled the first time I saw it.

Unknown said...

If you want to learn to palm, pick a good routine to learn where the creator has designed out the 'heat' and built in the misdirection for you.
There are many great routines for 'palming beginners'. A good palm and cull can get you out of nearly any card based scrape!

cirrus said...

Magicians are scared of nearly anything that requires a little bit more then hard work. Look at the diary trick as an example. Learn a good mem and you are good to go, combine that with a false-shuffle and you can never lose. Most diary tricks you see now avoid this and give you a less cleaner effect...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I was always nervous about palming cards early on, and I even have big hands. Then I finally decided to get over my fear of being caught and just started doing it and guess what? I have never been caught. I was making it more of a big deal than what it needed to be.

So I tell magicians just starting out that if you don't make a big deal out of it, neither will anyone else.

It's a non-issue until you make it one.

Bizzaro. said...

Palming, top changes, etc this is what separates the nerds from the KING nerds.

Unknown said...

I look at the dilemma of palming cards this way....

Most guys don't think twice about scratching their balls in public. They may think they are being sly about it, but they're not. Everyone know what you are doing when you're scratching your sack.

Now, if you are so confident that you are hiding your balls in your hand, why can't you have that same confidence when palming a playing card. A playing card is much easier to palm than a set of nuts any day of the week.

It works for Darwin Ortiz, and it can work for you.